Monday, September 11, 2017




FOUR YEARS


This web log began four years ago today, on September 11, 2013. As I sit at my computer now, a storm is bearing down with pelting rain and menacing wind. How appropriate in more ways than one. This is a day to remember man-made and nature-made disasters, present and past. 

As for man-made, everyone recalls where he or she was on 9-11, sixteen years ago. I was in Charleston, at my desk as the assistant head of the South Carolina Room of the Charleston County Library. The library remained open but a dead zone of zombies. At the end of the day, I walked the few blocks over to the Cathedral of St. Luke and St. Paul for a memorial service. As I suppose everyone else, I saw it as one of the worst days of my life.

In another man-made disaster, the Episcopal Church schism had been going on for nearly a full year and the two sides were locked in bitter opposition in civic courts, both state and federal. Little did we know then just how bitter and long this legal war would be. We still do not know four years later.

I started this modest blog on my own as an independent source of information and opinion hoping people, particularly in South Carolina, would find it helpful in understanding what was going on around them. Since I was not connected to either diocese, I was free to give a perspective the official sources of information were not free to give. For years, Steve Skardon, at scepiscopalians had borne the herculean task of keeping people informed of the troubles in the pre and post schism diocese(s). I was simply trying to supplement his indispensable blog.

Apparently, people did find this blog useful. In the four years, it has had 229,000 "hits," with 29,000 coming in just the past seven weeks. Some posts have even been given as "exhibits" in the state supreme court, in a purpose for which they were never conceived.

Along the way I finished my history of the schism. A History of the Episcopal Church Schism in South Carolina was published last month by Wipf and Stock of Eugene OR. As those of you who have seen it know, it is a long, detailed, thorough, and painstakingly documented narrative of the causes, events, and aftermath of the 2012 schism. To add to the difficulties, in the last six months of working on the book, I had to undergo radiation treatments, but I was resolved to finish the manuscript on time, and I did. I am pleased with the outcome (of both the treatments and the book---thank God for modern technology).

When I think back over the past four years, I am both distressed and hopeful. It is sad to see so much destruction and waste, none of which was necessary, none of which had to happen, all of which could have been avoided. A once great diocese of a major Christian denomination lies broken in pieces. A long darkness descended. 

But, there is light in the darkness. It appears that we have turned the corner on the litigation. The state supreme court has finally issued its decision, at long last the federal case is moving along expeditiously, and, in the next few weeks, the two sides will start mediation talks that may well bring an end to all legal disputes between the two sides. If the talks fail, all other signs indicate the litigation will conclude in the foreseeable future, perhaps in a year or so. We are within sight of resolution and peace.

Looking at the history of South Carolina, and of the diocese, I believe that reconciliation of the two sides will come eventually. The state has had more than its share of difficulties, natural and man-made, yet has survived and even benefited from a great deal of conflict resolution. The diocese has had two major crises, the division from the national church in the Civil War, and the white racist Schism of 1887 that took a full century to resolve. So, I am left here today in hope and confidence that one day, all will be well and peace and good will will return to the men and women of lower South Carolina who have far more in common than in difference.