Monday, March 19, 2018




TORNADO


March 19. 11:00 p.m.
Many of you readers know that I live in Jacksonville, Alabama, where I am professor emeritus at Jacksonville State University. You  may see on the news that violent thunderstorms struck the town and campus tonight at about 9:15. They included at least one tornado. I want to assure everyone that my family, my house, and my garden all avoided damage.

The twister, and accompanying high winds, tore across the campus leaving significant damage to important buildings, such as the coliseum that holds several thousand people, uprooting ancient trees, and knocking down power lines. Some apartments, houses, churches and stores are heavily damaged. The campus is just north of the town center. We do not know yet the full extent of the damage. Fortunately the 9,000 students were away on Spring Break.

There has been a good deal of property damage on the campus and the north side of town and injuries although as of yet no deaths announced. Rescues are going on now. I ask for your prayers for the injured.

To my knowledge, St Luke's Church, at the town square, an 1856 architectural treasure designed by Richard Upjohn, was not damaged. We will know for sure at first light.

I live about two miles south of the campus. As far as I know there was no wind damage in my area. We did not even lose electricity. My wife and I huddled in our central hallway for an hour as weather sirens blared non-stop outside.


UPDATE. Mar. 20, 8 a.m.     Morning light reveals extensive property damage in Jacksonville including the university. Many campus buildings, houses, churches, stores heavily damaged or destroyed. Reports of injuries but no deaths. Countless trees and power lines down. Some streets closed. Authorities asking everyone to stay inside while first responders and clean-up crews do the necessary work unhindered. Most of town without electricity. Water supply running low. Many work crews arriving from as far away as Birmingham.

One or two tornadoes reported with wind as high as 165 mph. The twisters touched down around 9 p.m. just north of us. My family, house and garden untouched (except for frayed nerves).

Apparently St. Luke's Church, just off the town square, was undamaged but have not received first-hand report yet.

For news reports see this link .


UPDATE. Mar. 20, 8:45 a.m.     Delighted to relay first-hand report that St. Luke's Church buildings sustained no damage at all. Thanks be to God!