Monday, October 8, 2018




8 OCTOBER --- NOTES 
and A LETTER TO THIS EDITOR




In case you have been wondering, I have been away for awhile on vacation without access to a computer. I have just returned home and am ready to resume making my blog entries. There is catching up to do.  

The two groups of lawyers have turned in their responses as per Judge Dickson's request. They have been posted on the state court website. The DSC lawyers submitted two responses on Friday, October 5. The Church lawyers turned in their response today at 10:10 a.m. I will return shortly with remarks on these new papers as soon as I have had a chance to study them.

While away, I also received a letter to this editor that I would like to present here. It continues the conversation of September 24-25.

______________________________________________

Dear Ron,

I am grateful for the thoroughness of the responses (posted on September 25th) to my letter that was posted on September 24th. The purpose in my letter was simply to correct an oversimplification of my diocese's position in a complex debate. The two responses make the case that my position, after having been clarified, is still wrong. Although I generally agree with my diocese's teaching on sexuality, I need to do more study of the scientific and theological issues involved, before writing a defense. Of course, I have thought about the issue for years, but thorough study is needed. I know of at least four books on the subject that I need to read carefully. My study will also include recognition of the blessings that can occur within homosexual marriages, such as those attested by the two response letters.

In reading the second response letter, I can see one further point for clarification. I think my diocese's teachings do not "impose celibacy on lesbian and gay Christians." We now have much greater freedom to disregard church teachings on sexuality than we had 20 years ago. I regard this as a salutary development.

Speaking for myself and not my diocese, I think the legalization of homosexual marriage providentially pushes the church to rethink its role in society. The church's job is not to use state law to force people to do right. Rather, the church should point people to God's law, so that they can voluntarily apply it to themselves. Of course, as citizens, Christians may vote for state laws on moral issues, but they should be cautious in doing so. Freedom from sin follows from the Spirit's work in individual hearts, not from us trying to compel good behavior in others.

Yours, Sam Dargan

_________________________________________

Our thanks to Sam Dargan for this letter, in response to the responses to his original letter. I am waiting to hear from you, reader. Send remarks to my email address above.