Sunday, July 4, 2021




PEARSON GIVES HIS SIDE



The Rev. Andrew Pearson has given a long interview to al.com about his reasons for leaving the Advent and his views of the future and other matters. Find it here .

One needs to stress that this is Pearson's view of things. Although awfully tempting, I do not want to dissect his interview today as it is a holiday and we all need to be enjoying downtime. I will just say a lot of people at the Advent and the diocese will not be happy with his remarks and will have different views of what happened. I will return with my comments about Pearson's assertions soon. I think it best we not deal with this today. Let's just enjoy Independence Day at the moment.


I am certainly enjoying this day and the beautiful weather we are having. Let us take a pause and enjoy the beauty of God's creation all around us. Here are photos from today.



Jacksonville, Alabama, from Chimney Peak atop Mount Choccolocco. The center of the picture is the Jacksonville State University campus. The tall building near the middle, with the gleaming white roof, is the University Library (12 floors).



On a walk path in the smaller side of my garden. Shrubs on left are hollies, on right Photinia. The small tree on right is Corkscrew Willow.



Along a walkway in the larger part of the garden. Lush growth is the result of copious amounts of rain and mild temperatures. The banana trees already reach ten feet. The Louisiana Palmetto is in full bloom. Birds feast on the black berries.



Balloon flower (Platycodon) is a no-care and never-fail perennial. Every garden should have this.



Another easy perennial is Red Hot Poker (Kniphofia).This one is fading out. It bloomed well even though it is getting too much shade. It does best in full sun.



Yet another beautiful perennial is Butterfly Bush (Buddleja davidii). Thus one, "Harlequin" has passed its prime of bloom but will continue to flower until frost. The palmetto is "McCurtain." It is from McCurtain County, in southeastern Oklahoma. It too is in flower.



A corner on the smaller side of the garden. Weeping mulberry tree (Morus alba) is an attention-getter.  Boxwood on right and jasmine, on trellis. On left, the upright is Spartan Juniper.


I hope you enjoy this Independence Day. Did we ever need it more? I do not think so. We are enjoying our independence in more ways than one this year.


I have a great deal to say about both the Covenant and Pearson's interview. I need to collect my thoughts well before I post them on the Internet. As Gen. MacArthur, I shall return (hopefully much sooner than he did).