Friday, February 16, 2018





IF WINTER COMES...



This has been a hard week in too many ways. The unspeakable tragedy in my home state has left us all disbelieving, stunned, grieving. How can we let this happen, over an over? Is there no end to this madness? Has the world devolved into nothing but chaos, violence, and mayhem? These are all legitimate questions to be asking at this terrible time.

There are some questions that cannot be answered, but as good Christians we all know the universe is not chaos. There is a divine order to things. There is a greater power in control. There is meaning in life however hard it may be to discern sometimes. 

Since this is Friday, I wanted to end the week on a small reminder of hope. Seasons change. Here in the deep South we have had a cold and snowy winter. Yet, I walked out in my garden this morning to see all around me the incredible beauty of nature being reborn. I thank God that Spring is on the way. The long, dark winter is ending. Whenever I am feeling down, all I have to do is walk around my garden. I am better instantly. How could I be otherwise when surrounded by such overwhelming loveliness? I sit and allow myself to be enveloped in the sights, aromas, and sounds of God's magnificent creation all around me. Then I know, again, that all is well.

So, I want to end this week sharing with you some of the beauty of my garden today. I hope this will lift your spirits too.



Narcissus "Tête-à-tête". The first of the flowering bulb plants. I rejoice at seeing them bloom every year.



Camellia japonica, "Nuccio's pearl". One of the loveliest pink-flowering camellias. Right now the camellias are at their peak bloom in my garden. They are also called the "winter rose" for good reason. I have 20 camellia bushes with a wide range of sizes, colors, and flower types.



Camellia japonica, "Bob Hope". Cold hardy, prolific bloomer.



Camellia japonica, "Kramer's supreme." Another faithful showpiece.



Camellia japonica, "Goggy". Heavy blooming red camellia.

So, in spite of bad things going on all around us, life goes on and we have to do the same as well as we can. The best way we can do that is to remind ourselves that we are not alone, that "this is my Father's world," as one of my favorite hymns says.