Friday, February 8, 2019




AN EARLY SPRING




I am sorry to report that there is nothing new to report on the schism. We are still waiting, waiting, on the state and federal courts to act. I am hopeful that federal Judge Richard Gergel will proceed with his earlier announced plan for a trial in March. However, I have heard nothing new on this. As for Judge Edgar Dickson, well, who knows? He has been sitting on the SC supreme court decision for well over a year now and has issued no decision. When he will act is anyone's guess. I still believe he has no alternative but to implement the state supreme court decision. When he will do it is the big question.

Since it is Friday, at least we can end the week with a stroll around my garden. It has been unusually warm and sunny here for the last few days. This has brought out many of the early-blooming plants. The winter has been relatively mild with no snow and temperatures down into the low 20s only a couple of times. Although winter weather is not over here in the south, there is definitely a refreshing feeling of spring in the air.
Walking around the garden this early February morning, here is what we see:



I am in front of the Fujino Pink Spiraea. I am welcoming you to my garden.

Narcissus "Tête-à-tête." Very early blooming daffodil. Tiny flowers. Reliable.

Paper bush (Edgeworthia chrysantha). Strangely beautiful shrub that blooms in winter with tube-like and fragrant flowers. Needs some shade. 

Japanese Flowering Cherry tree (Prunus x yedoensis). This tree is just starting to flower. Spectacular in full bloom, covered with soft pink flowers. 



Winter honeysuckle (Lonicera fragrantissima) "Most fragrant" is appropriate for this evergreen shrub that fills this corner of the garden with sweet scent in the winter.


Spiraea thunbergii "Fujino pink." On left is Carolina jasmine that is about to bloom.


Winter jasmine (Jasminum nudiflorum). Shrub form of jasmine that is covered with small yellow flowers in the winter.


Of course, the camellias are still in full bloom and are still the stars of the garden, but I have shown so many photos of camellias lately you are probably tired of them.

I hope you enjoyed our little walk around my garden. If you live in the south, no doubt you are seeing signs of early spring all around you.

I will relay news of the schism as I can. If Judge Gergel does hold a trial in March, I plan to attend the whole event and report daily on its course. Odds are that the Episcopal Church will prevail there too. If so, the Church will resume control over the pre-schism entity of the diocese that was seized by the secessionists when they left the Church. The state supreme court has already said the Church diocese is the legitimate heir of the old diocese, and I am confident Judge Gergel will see the same. 

The end of the legal mess is in sight even if our progress to it is excruciatingly slow. The end will come just as certainly as spring will arrive. I say, the sooner the better in both cases. Until then, let's just enjoy the wonders of God's great creation. They are all around us.