Saturday, April 23, 2022




A LETTER TO THIS EDITOR, 23 APRIL 2022



Today we have another letter to the editor about the schism. I have been impressed in the past few days at the quantity and quality of messages I have received. I value every one, even those with which I disagree, or especially those. Here is a new letter from a person in an ACNA church who asked to be anonymous. 


Hi Dr. Caldwell,

I am a former member of TEC and current member of ACNA. I belong to a church that will keep its building. I know you are currently writing about the recent court decision, which this email is not really about. But if you would like to put this on your blog anyway, please let me remain anonymous.

I do have a few things to share that I think some of your readers might find helpful (and to clarify some possible misunderstandings).

---Those of us who left TEC, left due to the change in beliefs of TEC. We believe TEC has abandoned key theological doctrines such as the Bible being God's inerrant Word, human sinfulness, that Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life, and that salvation is gained only by faith in Christ alone. We do not believe that love will save us from ourselves. God is Love but we don't agree with TEC that it means we can do whatever we want as long as it makes us feel good.

---The above beliefs do not mean that we want "gays in the closet and women in the kitchen." What we want is what Jesus wants, repentant hearts because we (everyone) sins and is in need of a Savior.

---I know many who left TEC but I know not one who will return to TEC in order to continue to worship in their church building. I didn't leave TEC because I love my church building. We worship our Creator, not our building. Yes, many are sad to lose their buildings and we fought hard for them, but we will be OK. We love our buildings but we love our souls even more.

There is much rejoicing and weeping right now in the ACNA and in TEC. Our Bishop reminded us recently of Paul's words to the Romans, "Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep." I think that's a good reminder for all of us.

If we must put this in terms of "winners" and "losers," let us keep our eyes on our heavenly prize and know we are all losers if we don't daily place our sins at the foot of the Cross, proclaim Christ as our Savior, repent, and live our lives with a new heart through a new birth.

_________________________________

We should all appreciate this person sharing his or her thoughts and feelings with us. They speak volumes about the schism. If  this attitude is typical in the departed churches, and I see no reason to think it is not, this letter should be a wake up call to the Episcopal diocese. You may get 14 more buildings back but you may not get 14 more people back.

I am glad to know there are readers of this blog who do not agree with me. We must not let the hard feelings and brokenness keep us from being there for each other. You may have noticed that the day after the SCSC decision this week, Bishop Woodliff Stanley invited Bishop Chip Edgar over for a visit in her office and he accepted. They are showing us a way to care for each other in spite of the many years of civil war. We should all follow their lead.



Photo from The Post and Courier. Apr. 22, 2022. Dare we dream the last line of Casablanca as Rick says to Captain Louis Renault as they walk away together: "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship"? I think so.


It is also good to know that people who completely disagree with me also apparently read this blog. Immediately after the SCSC decision came down on 20 April, I posted a blog piece here entitled "SC Supreme Court Splits the Baby," and went on that the court had split hairs to reach dubious judgments on which parishes had acceded to the Dennis Canon. The next day, 21 April, A.S. Haley, a longtime blogger usually critical of TEC, posted a PIECE on anglicanink.com entitled "South Carolina Supreme Court Divides the Baby" and went on about the "hair-splitting." Of course, he reach an opposite conclusion to mine. Just coincidence the same words, phrases and thoughts reappeared? As they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

What do you think? Send your thoughts to the email address above.