Sunday, September 2, 2018







MY GARDEN TROUGH THE SEASONS




I continue to be amazed at the popularity of my garden pictures. I am glad that so many people find them of interest. Gardening is my hobby and therapy, something that everyone needs. My father's passionate therapy was fishing. He was the most avid fisherman I have ever known. Pensacola was a fishing paradise when I was growing up before over development, over fishing, and over pollution of the waterways severely diminished it. He spent every moment possible on the water. I cannot tell you the number of mullet I have cleaned. And if you have not had fresh mullet fried on the beach, you just haven't lived (or red snapper or grouper from a day of deep sea fishing). My father lived to be 96. I will always believe it was fishing, and living on seafood, that was crucial to his long and good life. My point---we all need an activity of therapy. What is yours?

I have posted numerous sets of pictures of my garden beginning in April of 2016. I will sort them out by season:


Winter (Dec. 21-Mar.21)---

     here (Dec. 8, 2017)

     here (Feb. 16, 2018)

     here (Feb. 20, 2017)

     here (Mar. 9, 2018)

     here (Mar. 16, 2018)


Spring (Mar. 21-June 21)


     here (Mar. 30, 2018)


     here (Apr. 1, 2018) 


     here (Apr. 9, 2016)


     here (Apr. 23, 2016)


     here (May 4, 2018)


     here (May 8, 2017)


     here (May 11, 2018)


     here (May 12, 2016)


     here (June 8, 2017)



Summer (June 21-Sept. 21)


     here (Aug. 31, 2018)



Autumn (Sept. 21-Dec. 21)


     here (Oct. 26, 2017)




My garden started as an empty building lot of about 3/4 of an acre. I planned it all myself and planted almost all of the app. 1,000 plants there. My survival rate is around 70%, not bad. We had a terrible drought in 2016 when we went 4 months without rain. I lost dozens of trees and shrubs. I did not give up.


Gardening is not just good physical activity, it is also good for the soul. One connects with something bigger than oneself, God's magnificent creation. The way my father connected to this was on the water. It is too bad our modern lifestyle has taken us too much away from the natural landscape. Even if you have no place to garden, you can still have containers, you can still grow something. If not, try fishing.